Friday, February 21, 2014

Breeding Project: Tree of Life Tots

FP1GM00120

I've been actively working on a new TurtleTot project. I started the project on January 10th 2014. The project was started after coming across a TurtleTot that had a tree like pattern on it's belly. Here is a direct link to her. I purchased her from Nialove on January 8th, and immediately went on a hunt for other TurtleTots' to use.

On February 20th I finally hatched three perfect specimens. It took twenty-six separate breeding "bundles" to get the perfect pattern. As in, it took me one month and ten days to get the pattern right with very specific breedings. What I meant by bundles is separate breeding days; I hatched 113 TurtleTots before getting one perfect specimen.

This girl is the first perfect bred, but she has an excess spot. Then I hatched this male that has a perfect pattern, and no excess spots. The last perfect pattern bred is a female, found here, has an excess spot too.

Now that I have perfect specimen I need to standardize skin color, shell size, shell colors, eye color, eye size, belly colors, spot colors, and make sure I don't breed in extra spots. It seems like a lot of work needs to still get done, but I'm glad I'm already seeing progress.

At the moment, I'm going to focus on eye size and skin color while breeding more perfect patterns, and breeding out any excess spots. After I get the eye size correct I'll focus on shell size.

The TurtleTot project's name is totally subject to change. I think Cosmic Tree tots would be another good name.

No comments:

Post a Comment